Franklin county. This township remained unincorporated until April 17, 1838. Previously it had been known by the name of "Erving's Grant." It is bounded S. by Miller's and W. by Connecticut rivers. Erving contains some excellent land and a great water power. The year previous to its incorporation, the manufactures of the town, consisting of satinet, boots, shoes, palm-leaf hats, &c., amounted to $35,185. Population, 1837, 292. Erving lies 95 miles N.N.W. from Boston and 10 E. from Greenfield.