Norfolk county. Dover lies 5 miles W. from Dedham and 14 S.S.W. from Boston. It was taken from Dedham in 1784. This town is bounded northerly by Charles river, and in it are manufactures of nails, iron hoops and rods, ploughs, brushes, boots and shoes. Total amount of manufactures in 1836, $99,558. The surface of Dover is uneven, and a large part of it covered with wood. Population, 1837, 518.