Essex county. This flourishing town lies 2 miles N.W. from Salem, to which it was attached until 1757, and called "Salem Village." It is very pleasant, and has some mill and navigable privileges. The manufactures for the year ending April 1, 1837, amounted to $854,300. The articles manufactured were boots and shoes ($435,900,) leather, ($264,400,) nails, bricks, pottery ware, glue, lasts, morocco, chocolate, shoe pegs, shoe and soap boxes, soap and candles. Population, 1830, 4,228; 1837, 4,804.