Concord, MA: history, population, rivers, lakes, mountains, resorts, hotels, motels, inns, and landmarks.
Web NewEnglandTowns.org

New England > Massachusetts > Concord

Concord, Massachusetts

One of the chief towns of Middlesex county. This town is situated on the river of the same name, 17 miles W.N.W. from Boston, 14 S.S.W. from Lowell, and 30 E.N.E. from Worcester. Incorporated, 1635. Population, 1820, 1,788; 1837, 2,023. This town was the first inland settlement in the colony of Massachusetts Bay. The township was originally six miles square, and derives its name from the harmony with which it was purchased of the natives. Its Indian title was Musketaquid. It took an active part in the prosecution of the war against king Philip, in 1675-6, and in April of the latter year, 10 or 12 of its citizens were killed, in the attack made by the Indians on the neighboring town of Sudbury. The general court has frequently held its sessions in this town, and in the year 1774 the provincial congress selected it as their place of meeting. On the 19th of April, 1775, a detachment of British troops, sent out by Gen. Gage for the purpose of seizing a quantity of military stores which were deposited here by the province, were met at the North bridge by the citizens of Concord and the neighboring towns, and forcibly repulsed. It was at this spot that the first regular and effectual resistance was made, and the first British life was taken, in the war of the revolution. The graves of two of the British soldiers, who were killed at this place, are still marked, and a suitable monument is erected near the site of the bridge, to commemorate the event. The monument is of granite, in the form of an obelisk; its height about 25 feet; the base, which is square, is a large block 5 1/2 feet broad, and about 3 in height. On the west side of the next block is inlaid a slab of white Italian marble, on which is engraved the following inscription:—

Here,
On the 19th of April,
1775,
Was made
The first forcible resistance
To British aggression.
On the opposite Bank,
Stood the American Militia.
Here stood the invading Army,
And on this spot
The first of the enemy fell
In the War of that Revolution
Which gave
Independence
To these United States.

In gratitude to God,
And
In the love of freedom,
This Monument
Was erected
A.D. 1836.

The manufactures of Concord consist of cotton goods, satinet and flannel, boots, shoes, hats, ploughs, lead pipe, chairs and cabinet ware. The whole value, in one year, exclusive of cotton goods, amounted to $156,012.


© 2004–2016 NewEnglandTowns.org