Middlesex county. On the south side of Merrimack river, and connected with Dracut by a bridge.—First settled, 1753. Population, 1837, 1,613. It lies 25 miles N.W. from Boston and 4 S.W. from Lowell. Chelmsford abounds in limestone and granite; considerable of the latter is transported to Boston by the Middlesex canal, which passes through the town. The manufactures of this town, during the year ending April 1, 1837, amounted to about $100,000;—principally of glass and iron.