Franklin county. Deerfield river meanders through this town, and gives it a good water power. Garrisons were erected here in 1754, against the savage French and Indians. Their remains are now visible. Incorporated, 1765. Population, 1837, 994. It lies 110 miles W.N.W. from Boston and 14 W. by N. from Greenfield. Although this is a mountainous township, it contains much valuable land. It maintains about 5,000 merino and other sheep. Its manufactures consist of boots, shoes, leather, iron castings, axes, hoes, palm-leaf hats, saddlery, scythe snaiths, and lather boxes.