Norfolk county. Neponset river and several large ponds give this town a great water power. It lies 15 miles S.W. from Boston and 5 S. by E. from Dedham. Incorporated, 1797. Population, 1830, 1,517; 1837, 2,185. The manufactures of Canton the year ending 1st of April, 1837, amounted to $695,180. They consisted of cotton and woolen goods, shoes, palm-leaf hats, copper, wicking, thread, candle-sticks, hoes, iron castings, trying squares, and "shapes." The bells manufactured at this place are of superior metal and sound. This place is easily approached from the capital by the Boston and Providence rail-road. The viaduct, or bridge, on that road at this place, cost the company about $80,000. It is of massive hewn granite, 600 feet in length; 63 feet above the foundation, on 6 arches, with a succession of arches at top. It is an admirable piece of workmanship.