Middlesex county. This town may be divided into three parts: Old Cambridge, the seat of the most ancient and best endowed college in the United States, is 3 miles from West Boston bridge, which divides Cambridge from Boston. Cambridge-Port is a compact, flourishing village, about midway between the University and the bridge. East Cambridge is of newer growth, and is a very flourishing place. It is the seat of the county courts, and is immediately connected with Boston by Canal bridge and the viaduct of the Boston and Lowell rail-road, over Charles river. This town was incorporated by the name of Newton in 1630. It took the name of Cambridge in 1638. The first printing press in America was established here, by Stephen Day, in 1639. The first work printed was the "Freeman's Oath." In this town are various and extensive manufactories. They consist of glass, hats, leather, boots and shoes, shoe blacking, tin ware, chairs and cabinet ware, rail-road cars, chaises, coaches, and other carriages; iron axletrees, harnesses, organs, carpenters' tools, clothing, pumps and blocks, cigars, brass and britannia ware, bricks, ropes and twine, soap, brushes, varnish, confectionary, stamped and stained paper, stoves, sheet iron, glue, pocket books, and medicine. The value of these manufactures the year ending April 1, 1837, amounted to $930,066. The amount of glass, which is considered of admirable quality, exceeded $450,000. Cambridge is very pleasant, although not so elevated as some of the neighboring towns. Besides the buildings of the University, it contains the United States arsenal, other handsome public buildings, and many very elegant private residences. Pop. 1830, 1,072; 1837, 7,631.