This is the chief town of Barnstable county and a port of entry. It is 65 miles from Boston. Sandy Neck, on the N. side, forms a good harbor for vessels of 8 feet of water. Hyannis, on the S. side, 6 miles S.E. of Barnstable Court House, is now a good harbor; but by an expensive Breakwater, constructing at that place by the U.S. government, it will soon become perfectly safe from all winds, for all classes of vessels navigating the Sound, and passing round the Cape. The "Pilgrim Fathers" landed here, Nov. 11, 1620, and borrowed some corn of the Mattacheeset Indians. The celebrated patriot, James Otis, was born here, Feb. 5, 1725. He died at Andover, May 23, 1783. The manufacture of salt was commenced here as early as 1779. It then sold for $6 a bushel. There was made 25,125 bushels of salt in this town in 1837. Between 50 and 60 sail of fishing and coasting vessels belong to this place. This town has numerous ponds, a considerable water power, some fine upland, and extensive salt marshes. The manufacture of vessels, salt, boots, shoes, hats, leather, cabinet ware, chairs, and wooden ware, amounted in one year to $56,562. Pop. 1837, 4,017.