Franklin county. This is one of the most flourishing agricultural townships in the state. It has a fertile soil, a beautiful surface, and two pleasant villages. It lies a little distance from Sandy river, 5 or 6 miles S.W. from Farmington and 38 W.N.W. from Augusta.
Wilton has an adequate water power for common purposes, produced from streams issuing from beautiful ponds in the town. The people are principally agriculturalists, and tested their skill in that delightful pursuit, in 1837, by producing 11,071 bushels of good clean wheat.
Wilton was incorporated in 1803. Population, in 1830, 1,140; 1837, 2,102.