Kennebec county. This is a large and flourishing town on the east side of Kennebec river, 12 miles N. by E. from Augusta. There are several large and beautiful ponds in the town from which issue two excellent mill streams: one a branch of the Sebasticook, the other of the Kennebec.
This is a place of considerable interior trade, and business on the river. vessels of considerable burthen pass to the ocean from Vassalborough, by means of the Kennebec Dam.
The valleys are very pleasant; and the surface and soil of the town varied and fertile. Vassalborough was incorporated in 1771. Population, 1837, 2,929. Wheat crop, same year, 10,272 bushels.