Washington county. This town lies on the Schoodic or St. Croix river, opposite to St. Andrews, in New Brunswick. It is 16 miles N.N.W. from Eastport, 30 N.E. from Machias, and 192 E.N.E. from Augusta. This place enjoys great navigable privileges, and is the site of considerable ship building, and commerce in lumber. Incorporated, 1811. Population, 1837, 702. This town was settled soon after the revolutionary war. The first mail came to this place in 1796. A mail stage now arrives three times a week, and crosses the river to New Brunswick. Robbinston was named in compliment to the Hon. Eward H. Robbins, formerly Lieut. Governor of Massachusetts, and for many years speaker of the House of Representatives of that state.