Lincoln county. Within these limits on the west bank of Kennebec river, stood an ancient fortress called Richmond; hence the name of the town. It lies between Bowdoinham and Gardiner, and is the site of some ship building and navigation. The town has mill privileges on a stream which empties into Merrymeeting bay: its soil is productive, and its location pleasant. Richmond lies 15 miles S. from Augusta, and 15 N. from Topsham. Incorporated, 1823. Population, 1837, 1,526. Wheat crop, same year, 1,656 bushels.