Hancock county. A maritime town, on the E. side of Penobscot bay, nearly opposite to Belfast, and 12 miles E. by N. from it. It is 75 miles E. by N. from Augusta, 8 N. by E. from Castine, and 17 S.W. from Ellsworth. An arm of Penobscot bay sets up from the S.W., and gives the town great navigable facilities. It has a great water power, and its manufacture of lumber, its ship building, and coasting trade, render it an important and flourishing sea port. The surface of the town is pleasant and the soil good. Population, 1837, 1,496. Wheat crop, same year, 2,074 bushels.—Incorporated, 1787.