North Yarmouth, Maine
Cumberland county. This is a pleasant town on Casco bay, 10 miles N. from Portland, and 42 S.E. from Augusta. Population, 1837, 2,782. The town was first settled in 1640. In 1687 it was attacked by the Indians, and deserted by the whites; and was not re-settled by them until 1725. It was incorporated in 1713. About 4000 tons of navigation is owned here, employed in the transportation of lumber and the fishery. There is a fine stream of water in the town, on which are paper and saw mills, and other manufactories. The academy in North Yarmouth is well founded, and is in a flourishing condition.