Chief town of Somerset county. This town is situated on both sides of the Kennebec river, 28 miles N. from Augusta. Incorporated, 1788. Population, 1837, 1,955. Its surface is diversified with hills of a moderate elevation, the soil various, but generally good and well cultivated. Wheat crop, 1837, 10,299 bushels. This town was formerly the site of the celebrated tribe of Norridgewock Indians. Their village was situated at the foot of Norridgewock falls in the N.W. part of the town, and the border of Madison. The tribe had a church, the bell of which was dug up a few years since, and placed in the cabinet at Bowdoin college. The tribe was destroyed by a party of 168 men, sent out from Massachusetts for that purpose, commanded by Capt. Moulton, on the afternoon of August 23, 1724. Among the killed was the noted Jesuit missionary, Ralle. A monument was erected the 23d of August, 1833, by Bishop Fenwick, to his memory.
Norridgewock village is situated on the north side of the river, directly in the bend, five miles west of Skowhegan falls. It is one of the most pleasant and delightful villages, especially in the summer, in the state. The main street is lined with ornamental trees, some of them venerable for age and magnitude, extending their long arms quite across the street, forming a beautiful avenue from east to west. On the south side of the river, connected by a bridge, is a pleasant and rapidly increasing village.
The public buildings consist of a church and court house, on the north side of the river, and on the south, a female academy, and a free church at "Oak Hill," abbout 5 miles from the village.
This section of the country is remarkable for its luxuriant growth of the white pine. A few years since one of these trees was cut for a canoe. Its length was 154 feet and measured 4 1/2 feet in diameter.