Lincoln county. This town lies on the east side of the upper waters of Damariscotta river. It is a place of considerable trade. Many ships are built here, and a large number of vessels are employed in the coasting trade. The soil of the town is generally good, and considerable attention is paid by the inhabitants to agricultural pursuits. It lies 38 miles S.E. from Augusta and 11 E. from Wiscasset. Population, 1837, 1,999. Incor., 1788.