Washington county. This town was incorporated in 1831, and comprises the territory marked F. and K. on Greenleaf's map. It is bounded E. by the British Province of New Brunswick, N. near the passage of St. John's, across the line of the state; and W. and S. by a vast and fertile territory between Aroostook and St. John's rivers; at present but thinly inhabited. This town was the place where the land agents of Maine were taken, by order of the British government, and imprisoned at Frederickton, N.B. In 1837, Madawaska was supposed to contain a population of 2,487. It lies about 220 miles N.E. by N. from Augusta and 130 N.W. from Frederickton, N.B.