Machias Port, Maine
Washington county. Incorporated in 1826. It is the southern part of Old Machias, and extends northward to the union of the branches of Machias river. It has a great number of mills, and is very extensively engaged in the lumber trade. It is a port of entry:—it has an excellent harbor, and considerable navigation in the coasting and fishing business. The tonnage of the district in 1837, was 8,360 tons. In this part of Old Machias the Plymouth Colony established a trading house in 1630. It was subsequently occupied by the French for several years. Machias Port lies 146 miles E.N.E. from Augusta and 3 S. from Machias. Population, 1837, 821.