Washington county. County town. This was a famous lodgement of the Indians. First settled 1762. It was incorporated in 1784, and was the first corporate town between Penobscot and St. Croix rivers. It formerly comprised East Machias and Machias Port. The village is situated on the east side of the west branch, and near the mouth of Middle river. It contains the county building, numerous saw mills, and has an extensive trade, particularly in lumber. Machias lies 143 miles E.N.E. from Augusta. Population, 1837, 1,239. This is a pleasant and interesting town.