Lincoln county. This town lies at the head of Damariscotta river, and embraces a large body of water. It is otherwise watered by several ponds producing streams for mill seats, which give to Jefferson great facilities for sawing and transporting lumber. This is a flourishing town in its trade and agricultural pursuits; it produced 3,361 bushels of wheat in 1837. Incorporated, 1807. Population, 1837, 2,246. It lies 28 miles E.S.E. from Augusta and 15 N.E. from Wiscasset.