Oxford county. Between two mountains on both sides of Androscoggin river. There is some good land on the river, but the chief part of the township is fit only for grazing. The expense of transportation of fuel down the mountains, in a slippery time, is very trifling. Gilead lies 71 miles W. from Augusta and 25 S.S.W. from Paris. Incorporated, 1804. Population, 1837, 374.