Cumberland county. This is a respectable town with a pleasant village, and small harbor at the head of Casco bay, on the road from Portland to Brunswick, 18 miles N. by E. from the former, 9 S.W. from the latter, and 36 S.S.W. from Augusta. Freeport was taken from North Yarmouth in 1789, and was formerly called the Harraseeket Settlement from the name of the river that passes through it. This is a place of some navigation, ship building, and agricultural enterprize. Population, 1837, 2,659.