Waldo county. Previous to its incorporation, in 1813, the territory of Freedom was called "Beaver Hill." It was first settled in 1794. It is a good township of land, and bounded W. by Albion, and E. by Knox. It is about 20 miles E.S.E. from Belfast and 25 N.E. from Augusta. Freedom, in 1837, with a population of 1,058, produced 6,084 bushels of wheat.