Cumberland county. This is a pleasant town at the head of Casco bay, 6 miles N. from Portland and 47 S.W. from Augusta. It is watered by Presumscut river, and has a number of vessels employed in coasting and fishing. The soil on the whole coast of Maine is not so fertile as in the interior parts of the state, yet Falmouth comprises a considerable quantity of good land. The town was incorporated as early as 1718, and included the territory of the city of Portland until 1786. Population, 1837, 2,068.