Penobscot county. Exeter is 64 miles N.N.E. from Augusta and 25 S.W. from Bangor. It was incorporated in 1811. Population, 1830, 1,438—1837, 1,920. At the "Four Corners," in the northerly part of the town, is a pleasant village with considerable trade and some mills. The people of Exeter in 1837, with soil not above mediocrity, proved without effort, by raising 12,058 bushels of wheat, that the state of Maine is abundantly able, by means within itself, to supply the whole family of Yankees with bread stuffs, and have some to spare to their western brethren.