Chief town of Hancock county. This is a pleasant and flourishing town on both sides of Union river, at the head of navigation. The village is principally on the E. side, where there is a good bridge across the river, 3 miles above the entrance of the river into the waters connected with Blue Hill bay. The tide rises at the bridge 10 or 12 feet, and Ellsworth possesses an enviable position for maritime and inland trade. The location of the courts for this county was changed from Castine to this place in 1838. The court house is eligibly situated on the W. side of the river. Ellsworth is quite an agricultural township. It has a good soil, and considerable attention is given to the growth of wheat and wool. It lies 81 miles E. by N. from Augusta and 30 N.E. by E. from Bangor. Population, 1830, 1,385—1837, 2,195.