East Machias, Maine
Washington county. This is a flourishing town on navigable waters. It was incorporated in 1826 and is the eastern part of Old Machias. It lies on both sides of East Machias river, 149 miles E. by N. from Augusta. Population, 1837, 1,282. East Machias has a great water power, a large number of mills, and a very pleasant village. It is extensively engaged in the lumber trade.