Penobscot county. This town was first settled in 1801. Incorporated, 1815. It lies 67 miles N.E. from Augusta and 35 N.W. from Bangor. Population, 1837, 1,401. Dexter is a valuable township of land. The farmers reap a rich reward for their labors. In 1837, 7000 bushels of wheat was raised. In this town is a pond covering 500 acres, at the outlet of which are mills and a beautiful village.