Is the chief town of Waldo county, and a port of entry, and is beautifully situated on Belfast bay, on the W. side of Penobscot river. It lies 40 miles E. from Augusta, 30 S. from Bangor, 30 N. from Thomaston, and, across Belfast bay, 12 W. from Castine. The town was incorporated in 1773, but was not permanently settled until about the year 1785. There is considerable good land in Belfast. In 1837 it produced 3,492 bushels of as good wheat as ever grew on the prairies of the "boundless West." The Paasaggassawakeag river passes near the centre of the town, and adds much to the appearance of the place. The harbor is very good—it is guarded by Long and Sears' islands, and has anchorage for a great number of vessels of the largest class. The proximity of Belfast to the sea, its site in relation to Penobscot river, and its excellent harbor, which was never known to have been obstructed by ice, but twice, (1780–1815,) gives it peculiar advantages for foreign commerce, the coasting trade, and the fisheries. Considerable ship building is carried on at this place. The tonnage of the district of Belfast in 1837, was 29,342 tons. The principal exports are lumber and fish. Population, 1810, 1,259; 1820, 2,026; 1830, 3,077; and in 1837, about 4,000. Belfast, although irregularly built, is a pleasant town, and is an important winter mart of the trade of Penobscot river.