New Haven county. The territory of this town belonged to the towns of New Haven and Milford, and was called the parish of "Amity" from 1739, until its incorporation in 1784. West river runs on the west side of West Rock, a range of mountains on the eastern border of the town. The surface of the town is hilly, but the soil is excellent for grazing, and much butter and cheese is annually taken to the New Haven market, from which it lies 6 miles S.W. Population, in 1830, 844.
The regicides, Goffe and Whalley, had a number of places of concealment in the limits of Woodbridge, the most noted of which is Hatchet Harbor or the Lodge, near a beautiful spring, in a valley, about 7 miles from New Haven.