Fairfield county. Wilton was taken from the north part of Norwalk, in 1802. The surface of the town is broken by two ridges of hills, but the soil is a gravelly loam and productive of grain and a great variety of fruit. Agriculture is the principal business of the inhabitants. The town is watered by Norwalk river, and has a satinet factory and other mechanical operations by water. A classical school, of high reputation, was established here in 1818, by Hawley Olmstead, Esq. This school is worth a million of the silver mines that were discovered and worked in this town during the revolutionary war. Wilton lies 34 miles W.S.W. from New Haven and 6 N. from Norwalk. Population, 1830, 2,095.