Fairfield county. This pleasant town was called Saugatuck, the name of a river that passes through it, until 1835. It was taken from the towns of Fairfield, Norwalk, and Weston. It is about 5 miles in length from north to south, and is bounded E. by Fairfield, S. by Long Island Sound, and W. by Norwalk. Population, 1835, 1,800.
The Saugatuck is navigable for vessels of 7 feet draught of water to the village, which is 6 1/2 miles W. from Fairfield, 3 1/2 N.E. from Norwalk, and 27 S.W. from New Haven.
About 2 1/2 miles south of the village of Westport is a smooth and beautiful elevation, called Compo. It was at this place that the British troops landed in April, 1777, when on their expedition to Danbury. They also returned to this place when they embarked on board of their shipping. Seven or eight men were killed in the vicinity of the Congregational church in Westport. Ball Mountain, a conical eminence, covered with large trees from its base to its summit, is situated a little south of the village, and is a striking feature of the landscape.