Windham county. This town was incorporated in 1719. It derived its name from the circumstance that most of its territory was granted, in 1696, to Volunteers in the Narraganset war. The surface is, in some parts, hilly, but the prevailing character of the surface and soil is a sandy and gravelly loam.
Voluntown is 14 miles E. from Norwich, and is bounded by Rhode Island on the east, and North Stonington on the south. Population, in 1830, 1,304. The town is watered by Wood river, a branch of the Pawcatuck, on which are one woolen and two cotton mills.