Tolland county. This town lies 12 miles E.N.E. from Hartford and 7 S.W. from Tolland. Rock village, and Tankerooson are pleasant and flourishing manufacturing villages, containing 18 cotton and woolen mills. The former is 14, the latter 10 miles from Hartford. The Hockanum, and a branch of that river, the Tankerooson, are the principal streams.
Vernon was first settled in 1716. It was a part of East Windsor and Bolton until 1808. The surface of the town is varied by hills and valleys; the soil is a gravelly loam and sandy, but good for grain and grass. Population, 1830, 1,164.