Fairfield county. This territory was formerly called North Stratford, and was taken from Stratford and incorporated as a town in 1798. This is a small town of about 5 by 4 1/2 miles. It lies 5 miles N. from the city of Bridgeport. It is watered by the Pequannock which empties into Bridgeport harbor. The surface is varied by hills and valleys: the soil is a gravelly loam, productive of good crops of grain and hay. Population, 1830, 1,242. Tamtashua hill, in the north part of the town, is the first land seen, in this direction, from the ocean.