New London county. This town was taken from the towns of Colchester, Lyme, and Montville; but the principal part from Colchester, and incorporated in 1819. It comprises an area of six by five miles of fertile and productive land. The inhabitants are generally good farmers, who live scattered about on their farms. Population, 1830, 958. Salem is well watered by small streams, and is bounded on the N.E. by a large and beautiful pond. It lies 29 miles S.E. from Hartford and 13 N.W. from New London.