New Haven county. This stony and mountainous town was taken from Cheshire and Waterbury in 1827. It derived its name from its elevated situation. There is a pretty village in the town. The inhabitants are chiefly farmers. It lies 17 miles N. by W. from New Haven. Population, 1830, 651.
Some difficulty arose in the congregational society in this town a few years since, in consequence of the minister and a number of the influential members of the church having adopted the sentiments of the Perfectionists. The stray sheep, however, soon returned to the fold again.