Litchfield county. Plymouth lies 22 miles W.S.W. from Hartford, 31 N. by W. from New Haven, and 12 S.E. from Litchfield. Taken from Waterbury in 1795. Population, 1830, 2,064. The surface of the town is rough and hilly, with a strong, gravelly soil, well adapted for grazing. The Naugatuck affords an ample water power, which is improved for the manufacture of cotton goods, clocks, &c.
The manufacture of small wooden clocks, it is believed, originated with Mr. Terry, of this town, about 20 years ago; since that period the manufacture of wooden clocks has been widely extended, and forms a very important branch of the manufactures of this part of the state.