Windham county. Mooseup river affords this town a good water power, on which, in the pleasant villages of Unionville and Centreville, are considerable manufactures of cotton and woolen goods. This town was incorporated in 1700: a part of the land is broken and stony, but in the western section there is an extensive plain of a light sandy loam, noted for its adaptation to the growth of corn and other grain.—In olden times this plain was called the Egypt of the surrounding country.
The village is on a commanding eminence, from which there is an extensive prospect, and in which is one of the best academies in the state; incorporated in 1783. It lies 41 E. from Hartford and 8 S. by E. from Brooklyn. Population, 1830, 2,290.