New Haven county. This town was taken from New Haven and Milford in 1822. The name was adopted in honor of William, Prince of Orange, in commemoration of the benefits received from him by the colony of Connecticut; particularly for the restoration of their charter after the usurpation and tyranny of Edmund Andros.
Orange lies about 4 miles S.W. from New Haven, and is a pleasant town with a productive soil. The inhabitants are principally farmers. Savin Rock in this town is a romantic spot, and a place of resort in the summer. There are mines of silver and copper in the town, and asbestos is found in abundance in serpentine rocks. Population, 1830, 1,341.