New Milford, Connecticut
Litchfield county. This township is hilly and broken, several mountainous ridges extending through it. The soil is much diversified, and where susceptible of cultivation, it is generally good; but on the whole more distinguished for grain than grass. There are, however, large quantities of excellent meadow ground, but the pasturage is, on the whole, not abundant. It is essentially a farming town. For some time after the white people came here, an Indian chief, or sachem, named Werauhamaug, had a palace standing near the Great falls, where he resided. On the inner walls of this palace, (which were of bark with the smooth side inwards,) were pictured every known species of beast, bird, fish and insect, from the largest to the smallest. This was said to have been done by artists whom a friendly prince at a great distance sent to him for that purpose, as Hiram did to Solomon. The town of New Milford was purchased of the Colony of Connecticut by a company of individuals belonging to Milford, and was first settled in 1707. The first bridge that was ever built over the Housatonick river, from the sea to its source was built in this town in 1737. The village of New Milford is very handsome; the streets are wide and well shaded. It lies 36 miles N.W. from New Haven and 18 S.W. from Litchfield. Population, 1830, 3,979. The territory of this town is larger than any other in the state: it is 13 by 6 1/2 miles. The town is well watered, and has some manufactures. There are large quantities of granite and marble, and the town produces large quantites of grain and wool for market.