Fairfield county. This town was taken from Huntington in 1823. The soil is good and well adapted for grazing, but the surface is rough and stony. Agriculture is the principal business of the inhabitants. There are excellent orchards of various kinds of fruit in the town, a pleasant village on elevated ground, and a classical school. It lies 15 miles W. by N. from New Haven, and 12 E. by S. from Danbury. Population, 1830, 1,522.
A rich variety of mineral substances have been discovered here. Among them, are tungsten, tellurium, native bismouth, native silver, magnetical and common iron pyrites, copper pyrites, galena, blende, tourmaline, &c.