Tolland county. Mansfield, the Indian Nawbesetuck, was taken from Windham in 1703. It lies 27 miles E. from Hartford, 12 S.E. from Tolland, and 19 N.N.W. from Norwich. Population, 1830, 2,661.—The face of the town is uneven and some of the hills have considerable elevation. The town is watered by Willimantic river, and the Natchaug and its tributaries—Mount Hope and Fenton.
A larger quantity of silk is manufactured here than in any other place in the United States. This branch of industry was introduced into the country by Dr. Aspinwall, of this place, above seventy years since, who established the raising of silk worms in New Haven, Long Island, and Philadelphia. At this period half an ounce of mulberry seed was sent to every parish in Connecticut, and the legislature for a time offered a bounty on mulberry trees and raw silk: 265 lbs. were raised in 1793, and the quantity has been increasing ever since. In 1830, 3,200 lbs. were raised. Two small silk factories have been established in this town by an english manufacturer, with swifts for winding hard silk; 32 spindles for doubling; seven dozens of spindles for throwing; 32 spindles for soft silk winding; and 2 broad and one fringe silk looms. There is machinery enough to keep 30 broad silk looms and fifty hands in operation. There are in the town two cotton factories. Screw augers and steelyards are manufactured here.