Hartford county. An important manufacturing town on the Hockanum, a valuable mill stream, 10 miles E. from Hartford. The first cotton mill in this state was built here in 1794. There are three pleasant villages, six or seven paper mills, two powder mills, woolen and other manufactures. The face of the town is uneven, but the soil, a sandy and gravelly loam, is quite productive. It was called Orford, a parish in East Hartford, until its incorporation in 1823. Population, 1830, 1,576.