Litchfield county, chief town. This town, the Indian Bantam, comprising, as it was supposed, ten miles square, was valued at £300 in the year 1718. Bantam was first settled in 1720 and incorporated by its present name in 1724. It was a frontier town for many years, and during the wars between England and France was much harassed by the Canadians and Indians. Litchfield is an elevated township, and its surface presents a diversity of hills and valleys. The soil is a gravelly loam, deep, strong, and admirably adapted for grazing. Great pond is a beautiful sheet of water; it comprises an area of 900 acres, and is the largest pond in the state.
Litchfield village, on "Litchfield Hill," was incorporated in 1818. It is a delightful place. It is situated on an elevated plain, surrounded by interesting scenery, and affords extensive prospects. The two principal streets cross each other nearly at right angles; they are wide, well shaded, and built upon with great taste and elegance. It lies 30 miles W. from Hartford and 35 N.W. from New Haven. Population of the town, 1830, 4,458.