New London county. This town is 7 miles from Norwich, from which it was taken in 1786. It is watered by Quinnebaug and Shetucket rivers, which unite in the S. part of the town. The soil is a gravelly and sandy loam, with some alluvial meadow. This is an excellent farming town: the inhabitants are generally industrious and independent. In that part of the town called Hanover is a woolen and silk factory. Lisbon is 45 miles S.E. from Hartford. Population, 1830, 1,161.