Litchfield county. Har-win-ton derived its name from three syllables taken from the names of Hartford, Windsor, and Farmington. It was first settled in 1731; incorporated, 1737. Population, 1830, 1,516. It lies 23 miles W. from Hartford, 40 N. by W. from New Haven, and 8 E. from Litchfield. Harwinton is situated on high ground, abounding with granite rocks and more fit for grazing than tillage.
¶ In more modern times, gold has been found in Leadmine Brook in Harwinton.