Tolland county. Ellington was taken from East Windsor in 1786, and was that part of East Windsor called the Great Marsh. The soil is light and dry, but considerably fertile. It is generally level, but the eastern part is hilly and mountainous. Formerly the lands in this town were held in low estimation, but by the industry of the people in their cultivation, they have risen in character and value. "The scenery in this town embraces considerable variety and is uncommonly interesting and beautiful. The 'Ellington School' for boys, situated in a very near village, is in high repute. Population, 1830, 1,455. Ellington lies 12 miles N.E. from Hartford and is bounded S.E. by Tolland.