New Haven county. Taken from Wallingford in 1780. It lies 14 miles N. from New Haven and 25 S.E. from Hartford. Population, 1830, 1,780. The Quinnipiac river and Farmington canal pass through the town. Cheshire has an uneven, but good soil, with a very pleasant village, and an Episcopal academy, 54 by 34 feet;—a brick building of considerable taste. Agriculture is the chief occupation of the inhabitants.